2023-2024 Course Selection
March 6-19, 2023
All course selections must be completed in PowerSchool by March 19, 2023.
Any questions related to course selection must be addressed with teachers and/or counselors by Friday, March 17, 2023.
Course Selection Reference Sheets
Important factors to consider:
- World language is not an ARHS graduation requirement, but…
- Most colleges do require a minimum of 2 years of world language (same language)
- More competitive colleges prefer 3-4 years of the same language.
- Massachusetts state universities and colleges require 4 years of mathematics for admission.
- Colleges want students to enroll in the core academics all four years of high school.
- Colleges value your passion in the arts and music; students are encouraged to enroll in electives.
Exemptions were created to encourage students to try electives without concern about their GPA.
- Students have the option to exempt a non-required course from their GPA.
- Students can exempt 2 semester courses or 1 full year course each year.
- Course exemptions must be requested prior to starting a course.
- Students can exempt a non-required course by completing the, Course Exemption Form
- Any courses that are exempted will still appear on the transcript along with the grade.
- Colleges may recalculate an exempted course back into a student’s GPA.
When selecting course levels, the key words are balance… Balance… BALANCE!!!
We strongly encourage students to heed the advice of their teacher. However, if you disagree with your teacher's recommendation, you must follow the override process:
- Parents initiate a conversation with the teacher regarding the recommendation
- If a student is pursuing an override, the teacher will provide the student/parent access to the override form.
- Students complete the override contract with a parent's signature.